Information technology(IT) is a vast subject. What ever we do today is in someway connected to Computers.
Information technology provides good career options due to its application in different fields.
Anyone can start working in IT. This is one of the fields where people from any age,gender or background can learn and contribute.
But since the field is too vast, it can be overwhelming for anyone who is just starting.
I always get this question – from where do i start.
Since Information technology is quite diverse, i may not be able to cover all specifics.
This is my attempt to help anyone who is new to IT or who wants to start a career in IT.
How to start a career in Information Technology with no experience
- Learn the basics of Computer Science
- Even though you may be good at using laptops,Ipads, operating your social media accounts such as facebook,Whatsapp etc., Computer Science is more into how computer works internally.
- Gain an understanding into how computers were invented, Computer generations, Memory (RAM,ROM etc.) ,CPU and so on. These are not difficult things but will generate interest.
- Learn helpful things
- You can do a lot with your computer. This stuff will not only make you use computers quite often but will also be helpful in day-to-day life.
- Creating a word document.
- Creating a spread-sheet in MS-Excel.
- Using cut/paste.
- Organizing folders, pictures etc.
- Identify your interests
- Now as you warmed up and start liking the computer device, it is time to get serious into career building.
- Recognize your strengths, likes and dislikes. It may be difficult at first but as you will give more thought, it may become apparent that
- Are you good in communication,do you like to delegate stuff or do things yourself.
- Can you focus for longer time on a problem or you get depressed by small failures.
- Do you like counting better or painting.
- Do you like to investigate problems or to document a problem so that it can help others investigate.
- This will help you in deciding, whether you want to become a Business Analyst, Project Manager,software developer and so on.
- If you are unsure about your strengths, meet a career counselor and he/she can help you.
- Take Training
- Computer science is easy enough for anyone to learn on their own but it may take time. So take help and jump start on your journey.
- Learn at least one database and one programming language.
- Database is used to store data in tables and columns. Examples of databases are MS-SQL Server, Oracle and so on.
- Learn SQL – Structured Query Language. SQL goes with the database learning. It helps in storing and retrieving data. These concepts will be used everywhere.Once you have learned database/SQL, it will open more options to you. You can decide which field is right for you.
- If you love to play with Data and analyze the spreadsheets, learn tools like Tableau or QlikView.
- If you love to communicate with the world, learn how to design websites.
- Learn how to create apps
With good training , all the above should take you 3-4 months, but this time will be life changing.